Behringer X AIR XR 12 12-Input Digital Mixer for iPad/Android Tablets with 4 Programmable Midas Preamps
The BEHRINGER X32 completely changed the game by rethinking what is possible from a digital mixer – and over 100,000 users are enjoying the results.
- iPad*/Android* tablet controlled 12-input digital mixer for studio and live application
- 4 award-winning Midas-designed, fully programmable mic preamps for audiophile sound quality
- Built-In Tri-Mode Wifi router for direct operation-no need for external routers
- Revolutionary Dugan*-style Auto-Mixing automatically manages microphone gain sharing
- USB connector for uncompressed stereo WAV recording and playback
- Award-winning X32 effects rack featuring 4 stereo FX slots including high-end simulations such as Lexicon 480L* and PCM70*, EMT250* and Quantec QRS* etc.
- 100-band Real Time Analyzer (RTA) for all channel and bus EQ's
- Rack ears and protection bumpers included for flexible rack and onstage applications
- 6 aux buses and main LR with inserts, full dynamics processing and 6-band parametric or 31-band graphic EQ
- 2 TRS aux outputs and 2 XLR main outputs plus phones connector
- 40-Bit floating-point DSP features "unlimited" dynamic range with no internal overload and near-zero overall latency
- Free iOS, Android and PC/Mac*/Linux* apps available for remote operation via Ethernet, LAN or WiFi
- MIDI In/Out allows controlling the mixer via MIDI equipment (incl. Mackie Control* protocol)
- Future firmware updates, incl. new FX "Plug Ins", downloadable from behringer.com free of charge
- Internal switch-mode power supply for noise-free audio and low power consumption
X AIR XR12
The BEHRINGER X32 completely changed the game by rethinking what is possible from a digital mixer – and over 100,000 users are enjoying the results. Now, that same incredible technology has been incorporated into a small, but incredibly powerful, rack-mountable mixer that will forever change both the way you record – and the way you play live music.
The revolutionary XR12 is a powerhouse 12 input portable/rack-mountable mixer for iPad and Android tablets, and is ideally suited for both live and studio applications, thanks to its 4 award-winning MIDAS-designed mic preamps, convenient integrated Wifi module for wireless control, plus USB connectivity for file storage, system updates and uncompressed stereo recordings via the USB Stereo Recorder. We’ve also included the rack ears and protective bumpers for added flexibility in your studio and stage applications.
The freedom to move around and manipulate all parameters of your mix with the free iOS and PC apps lets you dial in the perfect sound from anywhere in the venue – or the tracking room! Advanced engineering and meticulous design deliver stellar sonic performance at an extremely affordable price – changing the game once again.
MIDAS – The Legend in Sound Quality
Ever since its formation in the 1970s, MIDAS has had a long history of innovation and leadership in the world of audio mixing consoles. Employed by the most famous touring acts and installations worldwide, legendary MIDAS consoles such as the XL4 and Heritage H3000 quickly became industry standards.
MIDAS has earned their impeccable reputation due to their no-compromise approach for audio and build quality and in particular for their Award-winning Mic Preamps which are considered by industry experts as the industry’s best sounding designs. Building on this legacy, the XL8 and PRO Series of Live Mixing Systems continue this great heritage of Award-winning audio quality.
BEHRINGER is proud to incorporate MIDAS designed mic preamps for the ultimate in high-quality audio reproduction in both live and studio environments. Find out more about MIDAS’ amazing legacy by visiting their extensive website.
Built-In Tri-Mode Wifi Router
Designed for the ultimate in mobility, the XR12 comes with an integrated Wifi module for direct control of your mixer’s functions – without the need to setup and configure an external router. The XR12 gives you the freedom to focus on your mix, while allowing you to move about the venue to experience what every part of the audience is hearing. Plus you can adjust live monitor wedges from the artist’s perspective – or better yet, let them mix their own IEMs and floor monitors via their own tablets.
- Access Point is the easiest way to connect up to 4 clients directly and concurrently (i.e., iPad, Android smartphone/tablet or laptop). This mode should have your remote control up and running in less than a minute.
- Wifi Client allows you to add your mixer to the existing wireless network where the controlling apps and devices are connected.
- Alternately, wired connections can be made directly to your PC, to a local area network (LAN), or when connecting to a dedicated Wifi router, e.g., for extended range or 5 GHz applications.
USB Connectivity and Stereo Recording
The front panel USB type-A connector makes the XR12 not only an amazingly powerful digital mixing solution, but also allows recording your live stereo tracks directly to attached USB flash media or harddrives. Dial in the perfect live mix with effects and zero-latency, while sending a dedicated stereo mix to your thumb drive for recording, or play background music in a break.
Whether you’re making rock history in the studio, or you want to capture intimate live performances – it’s never been easier to record stunning tracks with exceptional clarity.
When your application calls for a multiple-microphone setup, such as an onstage panel discussion, press conference or courtroom proceeding, etc., it can become a challenge to maintain so many open mics – and preserve maximum gain and priority for the moderator.
A major first for compact audio mixers, our revolutionary X AIR Gain Sharing technology can easily manage fully automated mixes with several live microphones. Based on the legendary Dan Dugan automix system, the XR12’s gain sharing paradigm automatically controls the levels of all selected microphones in real time, without any gating artifacts or noise modulation.
This function dramatically reduces the typical feedback, studio noise and comb filtering challenges that can occur when two, or more mics are in close proximity of each another. X AIR Gain Sharing technology provides a consistent system gain structure, even when multiple speakers are talking at the same time.
4 Onboard X32 Effects Engines
Equipped with the very same FX engines as the now legendary X32 Digital Mixing Console, the onboard virtual FX Rack provides access to four true-stereo (8 mono), multi-effects processors including delay, chorus, dynamics – plus the XR12 can run production-quality, true-stereo reverbs concurrently with 31-band EQ on the main and aux buses, all without the need for any additional hardware.
You can select any combination of high-end simulations of legendary studio effects, such as the Lexicon 480L and PCM70, as well as the EMT250 and Quantec QRS reverbs. Onboard processing means your computer doesn’t have to do the heavy lifting during a mixing session with DAW plugins as the XR12 has a whole studio of FX under it’s hood.
Custom-designed, and physically modeled after some of the most iconic and sought-after processors, all effects run inside the low-latency environment of the X32 mix engine, ensuring flawless performance, flexible routing and the end of cable faults forever!
High-End FX Racks at Your Finger Tips
The immaculate tube signal path in Teletronix’ LA-2A Leveling Amplifier has left its exceptional clarity, its rich and warm compression on countless albums of the past decades.
The ultra-smooth optical attenuator is closely modeled in our LEISURE COMPRESSOR. It provides breezy, natural and effortlessly musical compression. (Inspired by Teletronix LA-2A*)
When Urei released the 1176LN Limiting Amplifier in the late 60’s, it broke new ground. Field Effect Transistors employed were just invented, and the 1176 was one of the first audio processors to benefit from this new technology.
Our digital reincarnation, ULTIMO COMPRESSOR, is based on the early Rev. E model, and authentically captures the smooth character of the original Class-A output stage and its FET’s legendary fast Attack. (Inspired by Urei 1176LN*)
The Fairchild 670 tube compressor not only achieves record bids in high-end vintage gear auctions, it also delivers some of the finest colorations in compressor history. Two small trim VR’s preset the control side chain action, a six-step switch determines the timing, and the two large Input and Threshold knobs adjust the levels.
Our FAIR COMPRESSOR model is true to the original signal path, and conveniently provides models for dual, stereo-linked or M/S operation. (Inspired by Fairchild 670*)
100-Band RTA for all Channel/ Bus EQ’s
The XR12 includes a high-resolution 100-band Real Time Analyzer (RTA), with full Bar and Spectrograph views. This high-resolution RTA displays the audio energy distribution in 100 frequency bands over time – capturing a sonogram window of a full 10 seconds.
Switch between the Large RTA view, displaying any available signal in full screen resolution, or the Combined RTA view shown above each of the channel and bus EQ curves – and see the results of your filtering choices. Additionally, the RTA can be displayed on top of the 31-band graphic EQs in the Main LR or Aux buses. Monitoring and controlling frequencies has never been easier!
Uncompromised Channel Processing
The XR12 allows you to achieve the same incredible level of EQ finesse as the award-winning X32 thanks to its 100-band Real Time Analyzer, which is built into every input channel and bus EQ. Visual feedback built into the control app allows you to see and make fast, surgical adjustments to frequencies in need of a boost or a cut. You’ll wonder how you ever EQ’d without it! Every input channel also features Low-Cut, 4-band fully parametric EQ and the same Gate and Compressor dynamics suite found in the X32 – with one very special addition; you can choose either Expert or Simple functionality. In Expert mode, you can drill down and get your hands on every nuance of your dynamics. Or, if you’re more of the ‘plug and play’ type, Simple mode lets you either select from one of our 4 carefully-optimized presets – or load your own channel templates. Add to this 40-Bit, floating-point DSP and you’ll experience virtually “unlimited” dynamic range with no internal overload and near-zero overall latency. In addition to the Main L/R bus for Front of House, 6 Aux buses are provided for dialing in the perfect monitor mixes, or creating a dedicated mix for your USB stereo recording – complete with inserts, dynamics, and either a 6-band parametric EQ or 31-band graphic EQ. And if all these outstanding EQ options put a smile on your face, you’ll love it even more when we tell you that 100-band RTAs are available for these, too!
MIDI In/Out for Live Performance Controllers
The physical MIDI I/O port on the XR12 mixer can also be used for connecting external MIDI controllers, such as our X-TOUCH or B-CONTROL products, for dynamically controlling channel level, muting and panorama adjustments during your performance. And since the full-featured XR12 also supports the Mackie Control protocol, you easily apply comprehensive remote editing and parameter adjustments via any compatible MIDI devices.
Dedicated Apps and Software – All Platforms Covered
Since we realize that “one size doesn’t always fit all”, we went the extra mile and provided apps for all the most popular devices and operating systems. So we engaged dedicated (and highly caffeinated) development teams for our iOS*, Android*, PC/Mac* and Linux* based applications for the XR12 mixer. When you download an XR12 app for your OS, you can rest assured that you will get the fully optimized experience we intended.
X AIR EDIT (PC/Mac/Linux)
If your application requires a computer for BEHRINGER X AIR mixer remote control, the X AIR EDIT was made just for you. Simply copy and launch the free software with your computer, connect to the mixer via its built-in Ethernet (LAN) connector using a Cat 5 cable (max. 100 m length) – and all X AIR mixer functions are instantly mirrored on your computer screen. Since your PC screen is larger than the one on your telephone, X AIR EDIT allows you to open and scale more app windows, such as for routing or FX editing – letting you decide how much information you need at a glance. All touch screens are supported, or you can use a mouse to adjust your physical mixer’s settings. You can even control multiple mixers remotely from a single computer, or create several strategically placed computer stations to control the same mixer. With X AIR EDIT, your PC, Linux or Mac computer becomes your virtual mixer – both live and in the studio!
Download the free X AIR EDIT software from behringer.com.
X AIR for iPad
Front of House is wherever you and your iPad are – thanks to the new X AIR app for iPad. Simply download the free app to your iPad, set the BEHRINGER X AIR mixer to Access Point mode and connect your iPad to the XR12 network that will show up. After launching the X AIR app, select the mixer image, and all of your X AIR mixer’s settings can now be adjusted directly from your iPad. You can save your favorite scenes, and load previously stored scenes and presets to/from your iPad or customize your channel layout – all with the support of innovative drag ’n’ drop functionality.
Download the free X AIR App for iPad from the Apple App Store.
X AIR for Android
Designed specifically for all Android mobile devices (4.0 or higher), which includes tablets and smartphones, the app can be used in one of two modes: full access mixing mode; or bound to a specific aux bus for creating personal monitor mixes remotely on BEHRINGER X AIR mixers. Using this free and easy to learn app, each performer can use their Android device to dial-in the perfect personal IEM or wedge monitor mix, without having to consult the audio engineer for assistance. With the X AIR app for Android, personal monitor mixing just got a whole lot more personal – both live and in the studio! But it doesn’t stop there – in full access mixing mode, the app provides control over all channel processing including the RTA overlay, effects editing, storing/loading scenes or presets, and much more – whether you’re running a 12" tablet or a 5" smartphone.
Download the free X AIR for Android App from the androidapps.com.
- Number of processing channels - 16 input channels, 1 stereo USB return channel, 4 stereo FX return channels, 6 aux buses, main LR
- Internal effects engines - 4 true stereo
- Signal processing - 40-bit floating point
- A/D-D/A conversion (Cirrus Logic A/D CS5368, D/A CS4385) - 24-bit @ 44.1 / 48 kHz, 114 dB A/D dynamic range
- Analog I/O latency* - 0.8 ms
Programmable mic preamps, designed by Midas- 4 XLR/TRS combo jacks, balanced
- Line inputs - 8 TRS, balanced
- Main outputs - 2 XLR, balanced
- Aux outputs - 2 TRS, balanced
- Phones outputs - 1 TRS
- MIDI inputs / outputs - 1/1 DIN
- Ethernet - 1 RJ45
- USB port - Type A
- Mic Input Characteristics
- Preamp design - Midas
- THD + noise, 20 dB gain, 0 dBu out - < 0.005%, A-weighted
- Phantom power, switchable per input - 48 V
- Equivalent input noise level, XLR (input shorted - -128 dBu, A-weighted
- CMRR, XLR, @ 20 dB gain (typical) - >60 dB
- CMRR, XLR, @ 40 dB gain - >65 dB
- Frequency range, @ 48 kHz sample rate, 0 dB to -1 dB - 10 Hz - 22 kHz
- Dynamic range, analog mic in to analog out (typical - 104 dB
- A/D dynamic range, mic preamp to converter (typical) - 109 dB
- D/A dynamic range, converter and output - 108 dB
- Cross talk rejection @ 1 kHz, adjacent channels - 90 dB
- Mic input impedance XLR jack, unbal. / bal. - 5 kΩ / 10 kΩ
- Non clip maximum input level, XLR - +23 dBu
- Hi-Z input impedance TRS jack, unbal. / bal. - 1 MΩ / 2 MΩ
- Line input impedance TRS jack, unbal. / bal. - 20 kΩ / 40 kΩ
- Non clip maximum input level, TRS - +21 dBu
- Output impedance, XLR, unbal. / bal. - 50 Ω / 50 Ω
- Output level, XLR, nom./max. - +4 dBu / +16 dBu
- Output impedance, TRS, unbal. / bal. - 50 Ω / 50 Ω
- Output level, TRS, nom./max. - +4 dBu / +16 dBu
- Phones output impedance / level - 40 Ω / +35 dBm (stereo)
- Residual noise level, XLR and TRS - -92 dBu, A-weighted
- Antenna - External, SMA connector, 50 Ω
- Access Point, number of clients - Max. 4
- IEEE 802.11 b/g standard - 2.4 GHz
- Frequency Range - 2,412-2,462 MHz
- WLAN channels (Wifi Client, Access Point) - 1-11 / 1-11
- Max Output Power - 19 dBm (802.11b) / 18 dBm (802.11g)
- Switch-mode power supply - Autorange 100-240 V, (50/60 Hz)
- Power consumption - 30 W
- Standard operating temperature range - 5°C – 40°C (41°F – 104°F)
- Dimensions - 333 x 149 x 95 mm (13.1 x 5.9 x 3.7 in)
- Weight - 2.4 kg (5.3 lb)