PreSonus R80 Studio Monitor - Pair
150W Active 2-way Studio Monitor 2-way active AMT design provides articulate HF response and wide stereo imaging Custom-designed, 6.8″ AMT ribbon tweeter responds to the subtlest waveforms 8″ Kevlar woofer delivers transparent mids and lows for clean, punchy bass Bi-amped 150-watt Class D power amplifier with switching power supply Acoustic Space settings (Linear, -1.5dB, -3dB, -6dB) compensate for room placement
Hear the most subtle details.
The R80 studio monitor features a custom 6.8-square-inch Air Motion Transformer (AMT) tweeter that responds to the subtlest waveforms and the highest frequencies. This allows you to hear the “air” and the greater sense of space that is characteristic of audiophile recordings. The R80 studio monitor's transparent and highly accurate sound makes it ideal for use in both commercial and home recording studios as well as broadcast and post-production environments.
Superior transient response.
In order to dampen resonance peaks at higher frequencies, conventional dome tweeters are injected with fluid to raise their mass, sacrificing transient response time. By contrast, the custom-designed AMT tweeter in the R80 studio monitor uses an incredibly thin, folded Kapton® membrane (<0.01 mm) with an inlayed aluminum circuit functioning as the voice coil, allowing the tweeter to move at the same instant as the electric current. The resulting reactive response time provides marked clarity and superior transient reproduction.
Wide, consistent stereo image.
An unfolded AMT tweeter diaphragm provides 8 to 13 times the projection area of a traditional 1-inch dome tweeter, enabling R80 studio monitors to provide a much wider stereo soundstage than traditional designs. At the same time, the R80 speaker design provides a very limited vertical dispersion, which helps to reduce reflections from the ceiling and desktop that can cause phase coherence issues. Because it's less subject to room-anomaly interference, the R80 studio monitor reacts predictably and sounds consistent from room to room.
The R80 studio monitor uses an 8-inch, woven composite, low-frequency driver. This rigid cone maintains a more consistent dispersion pattern across its frequency response range. Biamped and driven by a 150W Class D amplifier — making the R-series speakers some of the most powerful studio monitors in their category — these monitors deliver an open, clear, and less fatiguing listening experience.
Have it your way.
You can customize the R80 studio monitor in several ways. It's available with black or blue faceplates to fit your studio décor. With balanced XLR, balanced ¼-inch TRS, and unbalanced RCA line-level inputs, it's easy to feed audio to your R80 studio monitors from a mixer, an interface, a media player, or almost any other line-level source. And R-series studio monitors offer user-adjustable contour features for optimizing the monitors for your mixing space. This enables full integration into any studio environment.
The R80 AMT studio monitor's design provides lifelike sonic reproduction that will allow you to hear the room in your recordings. Its transparent sound and responsive transient reproduction makes it an ideal solution for anyone who is mixing high-resolution audio. Hear the R80 studio monitor at your favorite PreSonus® dealer.
Did you know? PreSonus studio monitors and media reference monitors include a special edition of Studio Magic, a suite of over $1000 USD worth of music software including Studio One Prime and more plug-ins, loops, virtual instruments, effects, and tutorials than you may ever need. The Magic edition of Studio One Prime is compatible with all of the included plug-ins, of course, and because they're included in VST, AU, and AAX formats, you can also use them in any DAW you’d like.
It doesn't matter if you’re working on your first podcast episode or your tenth Grammy—you'll find yourself conjuring from the book of Studio Magic sooner than later. Have fun!
Components and Construction
- 2-way active AMT design provides articulate high-frequency response and wide stereo imaging
- Custom-designed, 6.8-inch, AMT ribbon tweeter responds to the subtlest waveforms and the highest frequencies
- 8-inch woven composite LF drivers provide transparent mid- and low-frequency reproduction for clean sound and punchy bass
- Balanced XLR and ¼-inch TRS plus unbalanced RCA inputs provide flexibility for seamless integration into any environment
- Acoustic Space settings (Linear, -1.5 dB, -3 dB, -6 dB) compensate for room placement
Power and Safety
- Biamped 150W RMS (LF = 100W, HF = 50W), Class D power amplifier with switching power supply
- RF interference, output current limiting, over temperature, turn-on/off transient, and subsonic filter protection
- Energy Conservation Mode (with enable/disable) lowers standby power to <0.5W
- External mains fuse
- Internal power supply with IEC connector
- 1- Balanced XLR
- 1- Balanced ¼” TRS
- 1- Unbalanced RCA
- Frequency Response - 40 Hz – 22 kHz
- Crossover Frequency - 2.6 kHz
- LF Amplifier Power - 100W Class D
- HF Amplifier Power - 50W Class D
- Peak SPL (@ 1 meter) - 107 dB
- LF Driver - 8” woven composite
- HF Driver Type - AMT
- Diaphragm - 6.8 sq. inch (4,400 sq. mm)
- Equiv. Diaphragm ø - 3” (75 mm)
- Input Impedance - 20 kΩ balanced, 10 kΩ unbalanced
- SNR (typical, A-weighted) - >100 dB
- Volume Range - A-type taper
- HF Driver - Linear, +1 dB, -3 dB, -6 dB
- Highpass filter - Linear, 60 Hz, 80 Hz, 100 Hz
- Acoustic Space - Linear, -1.5 dB, -3 dB, -6 dB
- Energy Conservation Mode - On/Off/Query
- RF interference
- Output-current limiting
- Turn-on/off transient
- Subsonic filter
- External mains fuse
- Factory preprogrammed - 100-120V ～50/60 Hz or 220-240V ～50/60 Hz
- Standby Power - < 0.5W
- Vinyl-laminated, medium-density fiberboard
- Width - 9.5” (241 mm)
- Depth - 12” (309 mm)
- Height - 15” (379 mm)
- Weight - 19.8 lbs (9 kg)